November 28, 2011

Pillsbury Biscuit Donuts Recipe

Pin It
I've always really loved Halloween.  What's not to love about a holiday where you get to dress up and get loads of candy?  When I was younger there was one house that was so much fun to go to.  They would serve hot cider and homemade Donuts.  I don't know if it was the hot cider on a cold Halloween evening or the Donuts but my friends and I always loved going to that home.  For the past 3 years I've been trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to make delicious homemade Donuts on Halloween.  This year I found this recipe by Paula Deen and was very excited to give it a try.  Donuts in a flash just using Pillsbury Biscuit dough.  My sister was very skeptical and thought they would be terrible.  But they ended up being the best Donut I've ever made.  They were a bit more dense than store bought Donuts but they tasted great and were so easy to cook.


You'll need Pillsbury Biscuits, Sprinkles (I ended up not using them but they would have been a nice touch), Powdered sugar, Sugar, Cinnamon, and Cocoa Power.
Oh, and don't forget the Canola Oil.  Plenty of Canola Oil.  I think I used about half a bottle.  Start by warming up the oil in a Large pan.  You will need a thermometer and you want the oil to be about 350 degrees.

Separate the Biscuits and set them out on the counter.

I used the lid to my oil and cut the Biscuits into Donuts.


Lovely Donuts and Donut holes!

In a bowl add the Cinnamon and Sugar.

Mix it together well.

In another bowl add together the Powdered Sugar, Cocoa Powder, and Milk.

Mix it together well.
Once the Oil is good and hot add the Donuts, a few at a time. 
Try to regulate the heat to avoid super oily Donuts.
The donuts only need to cook for a few minutes.  Watch them and you'll be able to see as they get brown and ready to turn.
Perfect!  Lovely browned Donuts.  You also want to make sure they are fully cooked..nobody likes a doughy Donut.  When they are done cooking set them on a paper towel lined baking sheet to cool off a bit. 

When they are cool enough to touch you can dip the Donuts in the Cinnamon/Sugar

or the Glaze. 




I personally decided to do a little of each.

The Cinnamon/Sugar ones were my favorite

But the Chocolate were amazing too.


Don't forget to cook up the Donut holes.  They are just so much fun to eat.

Oh boy these were yummy.

Don't forget to glaze

and Cinnamon/Sugar the Donut holes too.
Yum!  Enjoy!



Pillsbury Biscuit Donuts Recipe
Source:  Food Network - Paula Deen

Canola Oil
2 Cans Large Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 C Sugar
1 C Powdered Sugar
3 TBSP Milk
1/4 C Cocoa Powder

 In a heavy bottomed pan heat 2 inches of Canola oil to 350 degrees.  While the oil is heating stir together the Cinnamon and Sugar in one bowl.  In another bowl whisk together the Powdered Sugar, Cocoa Powder, and Milk really well to avoid lumps. 

Lay the Pillsbury Biscuit dough out and cut a hole in the middle.  I just used the lid to my oil bottle so pretty much anything will work.  Add the Dough to the oil and cook until it is golden brown.  Flip the Donut and cook the other side until it is golden brown.  Repeat the cooking with the Donut holes.  Keep an eye on the temperature and try to maintain as close to 350 as you can.  This is where I get into trouble because if the oil temperature varies too much you will end up with oily Donuts.  When they are done cooking let them cool on a paper towel lined baking sheet.  Once they are cool enough to touch dip them in the Cinnamon/Sugar or the Chocolate Glaze.

Enjoy! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment