March 10, 2013

Easy Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe

Pin It
When I was pregnant with my second child I watched a show where a chef was making Beef Stew.  At that moment the only thing in the world I wanted to eat was Beef Stew!  I didn't want to eat beef stew though because I was watching my blood sugars and couldn't eat potatoes.  That craving lasted for weeks.  I'm pretty sure I talked about how much I wanted Beef Stew every time I talked to my sister.  Fast forward to the end of the pregnancy and the craving had come and gone so I never ended up making it. 

Fast forward again to my third pregnancy and again I am watching my blood sugars and get a crazy bad craving for Beef Stew again!  So this time I decided I had dog on better eat some Beef Stew!  This recipe makes a very hearty and delicious stew with awesome and tender Beef.  Give it a try on a cool day...or when your pregnancy cravings are driving you nuts.

To start things off you will need a Crock Pot, Canola Oil, Red Potatoes, Onions, Celery, Carrots, Italian Seasoning, Beef cut into 1 inch chunks, Chopped Tomatoes, Salt & Pepper,  Bay Leaves, and Beef Broth.  Shortly before everything is done you will need Chicken Broth, Frozen Peas, and Flour.

Cut your veggies into bite sized chops.  No need to be fussy about the chops..this adds a bit of rustic to the stew toss in your Crock Pot.  Brown your beef with a little Canola Oil and add that to your Crock Pot.  Then toss in the canned Tomatoes, Beef Broth, Bay Leaves, Italian Seasoning, and Salt & Pepper.  Mix everything together well.  Put the lid on the pot and cook for 1 1/2 hours on High and then for another 7 1/2 hours on Low.

About 20 minutes before serving place the Flour and Chicken Broth in a bowl and whisk together well.  Add that and the frozen Peas (no need to thaw) to the Crock Pot and stir well.  Put the lid back on and continue cooking on Low.



Enjoy! 


Easy Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe

2 Lbs Beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch chunks and trimmed of fat
1 TBSP Canola Oil
2 Medium Onions, chopped into large bits
2 Celery, roughly chopped
4 Carrots, roughly chopped
10 Red Potatoes cut into Fourths
1 28 oz can Chopped Tomatoes
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
2 14.5 oz Cans Beef Broth
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C Chicken Broth

Warm a large skillet over medium heat and add in the Canola Oil.  Going in batches, season the Beef with a little Salt & Pepper, and  brown the Beef on all sides.  Place the Beef on a plate as you go.

Add the Chopped Veggies into the Crock Pot along with the Beef Broth, canned Tomatoes, Italian Seasoning, Salt & Pepper, Bay Leaves, and the Browned Beef along with any juices on the plate.  Stir everything together really well.  Set the Crock Pot to High, cover with the lid and cook for 1 1/2 hours.

Then set the Crock Pot to Low and cook another 7 1/2 Hours.

When there is about 20 minutes of cooking time left, Grab the Flour and Chicken Broth and whisk them together well.  Add to the Crock Pot along with the frozen Peas and stir it up.  Place the lid back on and finish the cooking.

Remove the Bay Leaves and Enjoy!

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I substituted potatoes with butternut Squash when I made stew (just last weekend!). I add a can of spicy V8 and less stock. It was still delish with much less carbs. Stew is always excellent the next day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butternut Squash is a great idea to get less carbs in there! I've used the Spicy V8 in chili before but haven't tried it in Stew. You've given me some fun ideas for next time.

      Delete
  2. now I want beef stew. yuM! I love spicy v8 as well! Great tip Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only the most delish of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I think this recipe would work great without the crock pot! I would brown the meat first and just make sure that you simmer it long enough to get the veggies good and tender.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete