May 13, 2011

Orange Sesame Chicken Recipe

Pin It
I don't know about you, but I love me some Chinese takeout.  I love every aspect of Chinese supper including the Chinese tea.  I've never liked the flavor of tea's, but when I was a kid my Dad would order the tea and I would put loads of sugar in the cup and drink it.  Adding all the sugar made it so I could choke down the tea even though the flavor wasn't my favorite.  Kids are so crazy!  I've recently been trying to avoid Chinese food because it just encourages me to over eat.  I was watching $10 Dinners on food network and the chef Melissa d'Arabian was making what she called "Takeout Fakeout." She made an Orange Sesame recipe that made my mouth water.  I had to try it.  So I got the recipe and whipped up a batch.



You will need 3 chicken breast halves cut into cubes, Soy Sauce, Orange Marmalade, Mirin cooking wine, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic cloves, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame Seeds, and Butter.

Here I am using my handy dandy Garlic Twist to mince my garlic.


In a Large bowl combine the minced garlic cloves, Soy Sauce, Mirin cooking wine, Orange marmalade, and Crushed Red Pepper flakes.  Add the chicken, cover, and refrigerate at least 10 minutes.  I let mine sit about 2 hours.

Ah, here is the nicely marinated chicken looking happy and ready to go.


Next you will want to drain the liquid off the chicken. 

I followed this step from the recipe but wondered if it was necessary.  Using a paper towel blot off the excess liquid.  I think I will skip this step next time and see if the chicken is more flavorful.
In a bowl or baggie add the Flour and Sesame seeds and mix well.  Then add the chicken chunks and seal.  Give the bag to your kid and let them shake, shake, shake.

Shake off the excess flour from the chicken bits and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. 

Drizzle chicken with 3 TBSP melted Butter. 

No need to be fussy about the butter hitting all the chicken chunks.  It'll all work out in the end.  Bake 10 minutes.

Take out of the over and stir.  At this point I made sure to cover all of the floured chicken with butter.  Bake another 10 minutes.
Enjoy!  

Orange Sesame Chicken
Source:  Melissa d'Arabian Food Network

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 TBSP soy sauce
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 TBSP orange marmalade
1 TBSP Mirin cooking wine
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup flour
2 TBSP sesame seeds
3 TBSP butter, melted


In a Large bowl mix together soy sauce, garlic, mirin, orange marmalade, and red pepper flakes.  Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and add to the bowl.  Allow to marinate at least 10 minutes to a max of 8 hours.

In another bowl or plastic bag, mix together the flour and sesame seeds. Drain the chicken cubes and blot any excess liquid, and then toss in the flour to coat lightly. Spread the chicken cubes on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with the melted butter. Bake until the chicken is crispy but not dry, about 20 minutes, turning the cubes halfway through

Approximately 4 servings

389 Calories
22 Carbs
13.5 Fat
44.5 Protein


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. The reason you have to blot the chicken before putting it in the flour is if you don't, the flour will get all goopy and disgusting with all the dripping fluid. And then when you cook it, you'll have flour clumps. Not delicious.

    ReplyDelete