May 17, 2011

Pickled Daikon Recipe

Pin It
I made this recipe a while ago when I got the Daikon Radishes in my Bountiful Basket.  I never took a final food photo so I wasn't going to post it..but decided it was a tasty dish and I might as well post it all the same.  This recipe has a very light pickled taste and is very mild and yummy.  I found myself snacking on it here and there and really enjoyed it.  I used a mason jar to try and keep the pickle smell to a minimum..but was still able to smell it in my fridge a bit.  I wouldn't use a plastic container to do this as the reviews indicated that the smell really comes out with that plastic.  You can find the original recipe here.

You will need a Daikon Radish, Black Pepper, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, and Salt


Peel the Daikon and Cut into little chunks.  Then add the Daikon and Salt to a bowl and mix together well.


Cover and refrigerate until 1-2 TBSP of liquid is released.  About 30 minutes.  Here is a peek at my Daikon liquid.

Transfer Daikon to a colander and rinse very well.  You are trying to remove as much of the salt as possible.

Then transfer to a Paper Towel and pat dry.

Place the Daikon in a mason jar and add the Pepper, Rice Vinegar, and Sesame Oil.  Place the lid on and shake well to distribute the flavors and Refrigerate at least 8 hours.


I shook it every so often to ensure that the pickling liquid was moved around.  Then I tried it the next afternoon so it had sat for a little over 24 hours.  It was very nice and mild.  Enjoy!
 Pickled Daikon
Source:  All Recipes by MARBALET

1 Daikon Chopped into chunks
3/4 tsp Salt
1 TBSP Rice Vinegar
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
  
In a mixing bowl Add the chopped Daikon and the salt, mix well. Cover, and refrigerate until 1 to 2 tablespoons of liquid is released, about 30 minutes. 

Transfer the Daikon to a colander and rinse well removing as much salt as possible. Move to a paper towel and blot the water off. Move Daikon into a mason jar and add the rice vinegar, black pepper and, sesame oil. Top with the lid and ring and refrigerate at least 8 hours. 

Enjoy!


Approximate Nutritional info for whole batch


52 Calories
7 Carbs
1 Fat
0 Protein

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment