March 12, 2012

Veggie & Tofu Pho Recipe

Pin It
My husband and I were lucky enough to live in Hawaii for a couple of years.  It was such an amazing experience and we enjoyed every bit of it.  We loved the sun, the beaches, the tropical rain storms, driving the H-3 (prettiest stretch of interstate around), eating Shave Ice a Aoki's (Lilikoi is my favorite and my husbands favorite included li hui mui powder), and so much more.  While we lived there I was introduced to so many new and exciting things.  I grew a love for Thai food, Korean Food, Hawaiian food, and even Japanese food while I lived there.  One of my very favorite foods to eat was Pho.  Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup and it is amazing.  A friend of mine convinced me to try pho even though my husband had tried for years to get me to go with him (there is just something about eating Pho in Sacramento California just didn't seem right to me).  After my first time I was hooked!  I wanted Pho constantly.  I'm pretty sure I dreamed about the stuff.  We probably ate at the Pho Tri restaurant in Honolulu twice a week.  I've never dared to make it myself until I found this recipe.  It came together quickly and my husband and I really enjoyed it.  My kids...not so much.  Give it a try if you want a quick and tasty Pho.


Rice Noodles, Cinnamon Stick, Star Anise, Red Pepper Flakes, Tofu, Broccoli, Chicken Broth, Snow Peas, Carrots, Garlic, Onion, Green Onion, Lime, Bok Choy, Thai Chili Sauce, and Sriracha.

Warm a big pot over medium heat.  When it is warm pop the Cinnamon stick and Star Anise into the dry pan to toast a minute.

Add the Garlic, Onion, Carrots, and Ginger And Saute about 5 minutes.


Add in the Chicken Broth and the Soy Sauce and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
When you have about ten minutes left on the broth you want to start steaming your veggies.  Toss into a pot with water the Broccoli, Peas, and Bok Choy. 

Steam until they are soft but still crispy.  Nobody like mushy veg in their Pho.

Prepare some boiling water.  I am using my handy electronic kettle.

Grab your Rice Noodles and place them in a large bowl.
Check out these babies.  I am using Brown Rice Noodles!  Awesome!


Pour the Boiling water on top of the Noodles.  Let soak according to package instructions.

Once the soaking time is over give the Noodles a good rinsing in cold water.

Chop the Tofu into cubes.

Grab your bowl and put in some of the noodles and some of the tofu.

When your veg are all steamed and ready to go put some of each into your bowl.
When the broth is done you can strain out the veggies..but I like to have the veggies in mine.  I just removed the Cinnamon stick and the Star Anise.   Pour the broth on top of the other ingredients in your bowl.

Now the next part should be done according to your personal preference.  You can eat the Pho as it is or you can spice it up.  I am all about the spicing up.  I like to use Sriracha, Thai Chili Sauce, Lime juice, and fresh Basil.  Put in a little or a lot.  I like a lot..but I can handle the heat.

Enjoy!



Veggie and Tofu Pho Recipe
Source: Camille Styles

1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Anise Star
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 inch piece of Ginger, Peeled and Finely diced
4 Carrots, Peeled and roughly chopped
2 Cans Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth if you want Vegetarian
1 TBSP Soy Sauce
1/2 Lb dried Rice Noodles
1 1/2 C chopped Broccoli
1 head baby Bok Choy, chopped
1/4 C Snow Peas
Tofu, chopped into cubes
3 Green Onions, Chopped
Pink of Red Pepper Flakes

Warm a large pot over medium heat.  When it is warm add in the Cinnamon stick and Star Anise to the dry pan and for one minute.  Add in the Onions, Garlic, Carrots, and Ginger and let cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the Chicken Stock and the Soy Sauce and bring everything to a boil.  Then you want to pop the lid on the pot and reduce the heat.  Allow everything to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile when you have about 10-15 minutes left on the broth start a small pot of water over medium heat and bring to a boil.  Add in the chopped Broccoli, Snow Peas, and Bok Choy and steam until they are crisp tender.

Put your Noodles in a large bowl.  Following the package instructions, bring some water to a boil and cover the Noodles.  Let them soak until softened according to the package instructions.  When softened rinse with cold water.

When the broth is almost done chop up your Green Onions and add in.  Add the Veggies and Noodles into the serving bowls and top with the Broth and some of the broth Veggies.

Serve with Sriracha, Thai Chili Sauce, Fresh Basil (I just tear it up and add to the soup), and the juice of a fresh lime.  Flavor it as you like at this point.  It's all in good fun.

Enjoy! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment