April 20, 2012

Pasta with Sweet Potato sauce and Crispy Kale Recipe

Pin It
I have been trying to incorporate more leafy greens into my diet.  In the past I would only eat spinach and lettuce.  Over the last year I have expanded my greens by adding in Kale and Chard.  For some reason I find greens to be a bit scary.  I always hear about how much people hate greens.  My Mom does not appreciate the leafy greens at all.  I am always looking for fun new recipes that include new greens.  The other day I almost bought some Dandelion Greens but chickened out and got Kale instead.  Maybe I'll try those Dandelion Greens..but in this instance it was a good think that I bought the Kale so I could make this yummy recipe.  I liked that the sauce was made of Sweet Potato and the crispy Kale sounded amazing.  I really liked this dish and my 4 year old gobbled it up.  Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. 


You will need All Purpose Flour, Oil, Kale, Butter, Noodles, Garlic, Onion, Sesame Oil, Sweet Potato, Milk, and Parmesan Cheese.

Warm your pan over medium heat and add the Butter and the Oil.  Also start your pasta water and cook the Noodles when the water is ready.
When the Butter is melted add in the Onion

And the Garlic.  Cook for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften.

Meanwhile prepare the Kale by removing the leaves from the stems and ripping it into bite sized bits.

Pour in the Sesame Oil
And top with Parmesan Cheese and Salt & Pepper.  Toss to coat with your hands.

Lay on a rimmed baking sheet and pop in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.  Stir at least once while cooking.

Add the Flour to the onion mixture

and whisk together well.

Then add in the Milk.

Whisk again.
Time to stir.

Cook and mash your Sweet Potato (I cooked mine in the microwave only takes ten minutes.)

Add the mashed Sweet Potato to the Onion/milk mixture and stir to combine.


Add in some Parmesan Cheese and season with Salt & Pepper to taste.

This is good stuff!  That Sesame Oil..Yum!

Drain the pasta.

Top with the sauce

and some of the crazy good crispy Kale.  Enjoy!



Pasta with Sweet Potato sauce and Crispy Kale Recipe
Source:  How Sweet it is

1 Large Sweet Potato, cooked and mashed
1 TBSP Oil
2 TBSP Butter
1/2 Onion, diced
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 TBSP Flour
1 1/2 C Milk
1/2 C grated Parmesan Cheese + 2 TBSP
1/2 Lb Pasta
1 head Kale, leaves removed from stem and in bite sized pieces
1 TBSP Toasted Sesame Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Prepare the Pasta and Sweet Potato as desired.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a Large bowl combine the Kale, Sesame Oil, 2 TBSP Parmesan Cheese, about 1/4 tsp of each Salt and Pepper.  Toss together very well by hand.  Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 15-18 minutes, making sure to stir at least once during the cooking.  Set aside when done.

Meanwhile prepare the Pasta and Sweet Potato.  I cooked my Sweet Potato in the microwave.

Warm a skillet over medium heat.  When the skillet is warm add the Butter and Oil.  Once the Butter is melted add in the Onion and Garlic.  Stir around and cook about 5 minutes till the onion is softened.  Add in the Flour and whisk together well.   Let it cook for a few minutes and once it is golden brown add in the Milk and the Sweet Potato.  Whisk together well.  Let the mixture come to a simmer and let it cook for a few minutes to thicken.  If it thickens too much add more milk and mix together well.  Add in the rest of the Parmesan Cheese, lower the heat to low, and stir to combine.  Taste and add Salt & Pepper as desired.

Top the Noodles with the Sweet Potato sauce and the Crispy Kale.  Enjoy! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment