January 4, 2012

Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash and Black Beans Recipe

Pin It
Growing up at my house we ate a lot of squash.  I always loved it when my Mom would bake one up and we would eat it with a little Butter and some Salt & Pepper.  But I don't really remember us ever eating Spaghetti Squash.  I didn't realize how interesting Spaghetti Squash was until my in-laws made it for dinner one night back when my husband and I were dating.  I remember thinking how fun it was and wondering why I had been denied the joy of eating Spaghetti Squash my whole life.  I really liked this recipe which I found here.
It had a great flavor and you can't beat that it is low calorie, vegetarian, and delicious.

Start off With a Spaghetti Squash which you have cleaned well.

Place on a baking sheet covered in Foil and Bake in the oven for 50 minutes at 375 Degrees.

The Squash should be tender enough to pierce with a fork.

Then you will need The roasted Squash (cut in half and seeds removed), Green Bell Pepper, Frozen Corn, Jalpeno Pepper, Cilantro, Lime, Black Beans, Chili Powder, Canola Oil, and Onion.

Chop up the Onion, Green Bell Pepper, and Jalapeno.

Toss them in a warm pan with the Canola Oil.  Cook a few minutes until they start to soften.

Add in the rinsed Black Beans.

Now add in the Chili Powder and a bit of Salt and cook for a minute or two

Scoop the Spaghetti Squash out of the shell, but be sure to keep the shell in tact so you can use it in serving.  Also chop up the Cilantro and add both to the pan.

Add in the Lime juice.

Stir everything together and let it warm through.

You can place it back in the shell for serving

Or just enjoy it as is with a little Cheese and Cilantro to top.  Enjoy!



Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash and Black Beans Recipe
Source:  Whole Foods Market

1 Spaghetti Squash
2 tsp Canola Oil
1/2 Large Onion, Chopped
1 Jalapeno, Seeded and Chopped
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 Can Black Beans, Rinsed and drained well.
1/2 Cup Frozen or Fresh sweet Corn
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/3 Cup Cilantro, Chopped
Juice of 1/2 a Lime
1 tsp Salt

Roast the Spaghetti Squash in the over at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until tender enough to pierce with a fork.  Allow to cool.  Once cool scoop the flesh from the shell making sure to leave the shell intact if you want to serve in the shell.

Heat the Oil in a large pan over Medium heat.  Add the Onion, Jalapeno, and Green Bell Pepper and saute for about 2 minutes.  Add in the Black Beans, Corn, and Chili Powder.  Cook an additional minute or two.  Add the Cooked Spaghetti Squash, Cilantro, Lime Juice, and Salt.  Cook until everything is heated through.

When everything is warm you can add the mixture back into the Squash halves or just eat as it is.  I topped mine with a little Shredded Cheese and Cilantro to serve.
Enjoy!

Approximately 4 servings

160 Calories
4 Fat
6 Protein
29 Carbs
Fill squash halves with filling, mounding mixture in the center.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I might have to try this..it looks INteresting

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! We liked it quite a bit. I'm thinking about doing a vegetarian night once every week. I'll have to start planning better though.

    ReplyDelete