May 15, 2012

Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce and LaPasta Aspargus & Grueyere Ravioli review

Pin It
I am one of those suckers that marketing teams love.  I find it very exciting when my favorite products get a package makeover.  Or when something I love tries something new.  For example, Oreo recently released their 100th Birthday - Birthday Cake flavored Oreos.  I was so excited to try them!  Too bad for me they were really hard to find..and they were only for a limited time.  I was only able to purchase two boxes, that I had to share with my family, before they stopped selling them.  Although I have heard from a very reliable source that they may be releasing them again in June.  One can only hope cause they were awful tasty.

The other day I was cruising around Costco (a place a girl can get into big trouble if she isn't careful) and I came across Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce.  It was a gorgeous orange color and just sounded so amazing to me.  Being a huge fan of Butternut Squash I just couldn't pass it up.

As I continued to cruise the aisles I peeked at the refrigerated pasta section and found some yummy sounding LaPasta Asparagus and Gruyere Ravioli.  Yum!  I couldn't pass those beauties up either.  So I took them both home with me and I am here to report back to you how I enjoyed them.


I cut the pasta package in half and actually froze half of the pasta to use later.

Let's get to cooking!

The pasta was so cute with the orange stripe going down the middle.  Okay, so maybe just off the middle.  Just toss the pasta in some boiling water and they are done cooking in five measly minutes!  Quick dinner!


I artfully arranged the pasta on my plate.

Topped it with the sauce, which I had warmed in a saucepan over medium low heat, and some grated Parmesan Cheese.

I love how you can see the Asparagus bits mixed in with the cheesy Gruyere.



We all liked this dinner but we didn't love it.  The pasta sauce was surprisingly sweet for my taste.  When I want dinner I usually want a good savory dish.  Even my four year old commented on how sweet the sauce was.  The sauce does have a nice roasted red pepper flavor that compliments it very well.  I don't know that I will rush out to buy this sauce again..but with the right recipe I would happily use it again.

The pasta was very good with just a light Asparagus flavor.  The sauce was way to overwhelming for the pasta and I wish I had just topped them with a little Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper, and Parmesan Cheese so I could really enjoy the flavor.  Next time I'll know how to treat this pasta right.

So final verdict..the sauce is good but a bit too sweet for my liking.  The pasta was very good but doesn't hold up to a strong flavorful sauce. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. While it's our number one seller, everyone for sure has a different palate and my wife prefers it a bit more savory herself. When I make this sauce for her, I will typically cut the sauce a bit with some veggie stock.

    Thanks again.

    alan @ http://davesgourmet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, Thanks for stopping by! I have another bottle of sauce and I'll have to try your tip about the veggie stock a try. I'll report back with my results :)

      Delete
  2. It makes a bomb butternut squash soup too! ...just add creme or the stock of your choice and voila... sweet, creamy butternut squash soup! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent point on that...I've used it to make soup!

    ReplyDelete