May 12, 2012

Trading Blogs & a cookie recipe

Pin It
Have I got a special treat for everyone today!  A treat in more than one way.  Today I have a fantastic Guest blogger, Deena from Stay at Home Foodie, who has come over to share an absolutely delicious looking Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe with us.  These cookies look perfectly tempting and I will be baking a batch of these beauties very soon!  Deena and I are switching blogs for the day so please head over to Stay at Home Foodie  and take a peek at what I whipped up for her.

Also, I want to thank Melissa over at Serendipity and Spice for arranging the trading blogs!  Go check out her blog to see all of the blogs that participated and to check out what they all blogged about as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my! I’m so excited to be guest blogging here at The Grubery today. Jullee is being very brave … we have never met, and yet she’s handed over her blog to lil’ ole me. Thank you, THANK YOU!!!

 The first cooking class I ever took was with my mom – with a chef in his own restaurant. In the early nineties this was quite a novelty.
I was the youngest in the room by 20 years – my mom being the second youngest. And I took copious notes – ever the perfectionist, right? I don’t remember everything the Chef demo-ed. There was an amazing Cesaer salad made in a huge wooden bowl and I remember that he made an incredible peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookie. The Chef even gave me a taste of the cookie dough – kind of sneaking it to me and secretly confiding to me that he prefers this cookie raw. I held onto that recipe – taking it to St. Louis when I went to college and treating my roommates to this satisfying cookie dough on a regular basis. I’m not sure I even got around to baking them. Ever. They just didn’t need heat to make them incredible. But sometime after college I lost the recipe {probably because I didn’t want that cookie dough calling to me from the freezer anymore… I the freshman 5, sophomore 10, junior 3 AND senior 4 to work off!} And, being totally inept at baking, I never memorized the recipe.



Just look at those Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip Cookies!

But then it came back to me while reading Martha Stewart Living. And, although the recipe isn’t quite the same, with a little nip here and a little tuck there it came pretty darn close. Honestly, I prefer this cookie dough raw. There’s just something about the nutty, chewy cookie dough that is just SO SATISFYING. 






The dough is the best part of this peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookie

But try it for yourself. Just don’t be surprised if you end up needing to make a second batch to actually BAKE.

{deena}  
Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip Cookies {adapted from Martha Stewart Living}
  • ½ stick butter
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 cup + 1 tablespoon AP flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup all natural peanut butter
  • ½ cup chopped peanuts
  • ½ cup high quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Brown the ½ stick of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until nicely browned and smells toasty. Add oats and cook for another 3-5 minutes until oats soften. Spread oat mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet to cool.
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
  4. In a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat 1 remaining 1 stick of butter with white and brown sugars until pale and fluffy.
  5. Add egg and beat until fully incorporated.
  6. Add nut butter and beat on medium speed until well combined.
  7. Add oats, nuts, and chocolate chips and mix on low speed until combined.
  8. Add flour mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
  9. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of baking dough and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Be sure to space the dough balls 1” apart.
  10. Bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown around the edges (12-15 minutes).
  11. Let cool completely on baking sheets.
Cookies can be store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
     
  • Measure dry ingredients
  • Measure wet ingredients
  • Whisk dry ingredients
  • Crack egg
  • Run stand mixer
  • Add things to stand mixer
  • Portion out cookie dough balls
  • Eat cookie dough :)
  Deena, the stay at home FOODIE, is totally obsessed with food {in a healthy way… mostly}. She lives by her FOODosophies  and is determined to teach her kids to cook – and eat – healthy and yummy food. You can find more of her food musing and recipes at: http://www.stayathomefoodie.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much to Deena for sharing such a delectable recipe with us.  My family thanks you for the combination of some of our favorite ingredients in one delicious cookie.  Remember to check out http://www.stayathomefoodie.com where Deena shares so many great recipes and tips for including your kids in the kitchen. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Jullee - thank you so much for letting me crash your blog! Have a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deena, I hope you have a fantastic Mother's Day with your sweet girls today too.

      Delete